The Lord Blessed Isaac's Family
Questions for Study 18
Memory Verses: 26:24
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF ABRAHAM'S ERA.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE SPREADSHEET GENESIS' GENEOLOGY.
I. The Death of Abraham (25:1-18)
1. What did Abraham do after Sarah died? Why did he show special treatment toward Isaac? Who buried Abraham when he died? Where did Isaac live after that? (11)
2. Who were Ishmael's sons? What kind of people were they? (18) What word did this fulfill? (18:11-12) Why do you think they were this way?
II. Jacob and Esau (25:19-34)
3. What were the problems Isaac and Rebekah, respectively prayed for? How did God answer their prayers? What does this teach us about their family? About God? About prayer?
4. Who did Rebekah give birth to? What was remarkable about their births? What did each do when they grew up? (27-28) How did it come about that Esau gave his birthright to Isaac? Why was this an important event? What does it show about each of them? As children of God what birthrights to we have?
III. Isaac and the Philistines (26:1-35)
5. How did Isaac deal with the problem of the famine in the land? What did God promise him and what was the basis of that promise? How did Isaac show his faith in God's promise?
6. What problem arose because Isaac followed the foolish actions of his father? How was the problem resolved? (7-11) What does this show about Isaac?
7. How did God keep his specific promise in verse 3? Why did the Philistines become envious of Isaac? How did they vent their envy? Why did Isaac finally move out of the city of Gerar to the Valley of Gerar? (12-17)
8. How did the herdsman of Gerar harass Isaac and what did he do? (17-22) What does this show about his faith?
9. How can we know that Isaac had fear in his heart? Why do you think be became fearful? How did God strengthen him and what was his response? (23-25)
10. Why did Abimelech come with his personal adviser and the commander of his forces to visit Isaac? How had God demonstrated that he was with Isaac to bless him? What can we learn here about God?
11. How had Isaac peacefully overcome his powerful and godless enemies, and planted faith in God in their hearts? What can we learn here from Isaac's faith and life?