The God of Jacob
Questions for Study 19
Memory Verses: 28:14-15
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF ISAAC'S ERA.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE SPREADSHEET GENESIS' GENEOLOGY.
1. When Isaac thought he was going to die, what did he want to do? When Rebekah heard of Isaac's plan what did she do? (5-10) Why do you think Rebekah wanted Jacob to receive the blessing of the first born? (25:22-23; 32-34)
2. What did Jacob say to his mother when she told him the plan? (11) How did she respond and what then did Jacob do? (13-14) His respect toward his mother's advice?
3. How did Rebekah solve Jacob's problem? (15-17) Why?
4. How did Jacob and Isaac's conversation go? Was Isaac deceived? When he asked Jacob, "Are you really my son Esau?" how did Jacob reply? Was this wrong of Jacob? Of his mother? Was Isaac's blessing worth all their actions?
5. Was Isaac's question of the identity of the person before him resolved with Jacob's words, "I am?" (24-26) What finally convinced Isaac that Jacob was Esau?
6. What was his blessing to Jacob? (27-29) When did he repeat this? (28:3,4) How are these blessings different?
7. Why do you think Isaac wasn't angry when he found out what had happened? What does this show about him?
8. Why was Esau angry? What did he plan to do? (27:41) What does this show about his heart? When Esau learned about Isaac's feelings about Canaanite women what did he do? (28:6-9) What does this show about his understanding of why people of God do things? How do these actions shed light on Rebekah determination for Jacob to receive the blessing?
9. Why did Jacob leave home? (27:42-46) What does this show about Rebekah's character and faith? Was she a good wife and mother? Was she a bold and faithful woman of God? Why?
10. Where did Jacob go? (28:5) What was the significance of the vision he had that night? (10-15) What does this show about God?
11. How did Jacob respond to the vision? (16-19) What does this show about him?
12. What was Jacob's vow before God? (20-22) Which part of God's promise evidently had no meaning to him at the time? How would you describe Jacob's faith at this time?