Jacob Wrestles with God
Questions for Study 21
Memory Verses: 32:28
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JACOB'S ERA.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A CHART OF JACOB AND HIS FAMILY.
1. As Jacob drew near to his home country, what problem loomed larger and larger? (27:41) Could he return to where he had been? (31:51-53) How do you think he felt about his life situation now?
2. What happened on the way? (32:1) Why? How did Jacob respond? (2) Do you think he found relief?
3. When Jacob sent word of his coming to Esau, what was Esau's response? (3-6) How did Jacob interpret this response? What did he do?
4. Study Jacob's prayer in 9-12. What was his one request? On what did he base this plea for God's help? Did he find peace and freedom from fear through his prayer? Why?
5. What did Jacob do to appease Esau? (13-21) Did this solve his fear problem? Why?
6. Describe the wrestling match that occurred that night. (22-26) Who was Jacob's adversary? (28) What was significant about Jacob's being alone? Why did he demand a blessing? What do you think he wanted?
7. What is significant about the change of Jacob's name? What is the significance of this event in Jacob's life?
8. Describe Jacob's meeting with Esau. What is the significance of this meeting? Why did he say that seeing Esau's face was "like seeing the face of God"? (33:10)
9. Why did Jacob settle at Succoth? Why was this not good in God's sight?