Rich in Faith
Questions for Study 2
Memory Verse: 5
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
I. Favoritism Forbidden (3:1-13)
1. Who is addressed in verse 1? Why does he call them his brothers and what does this tell us about the point that follow? What is the point he is making?
2. What kind of meeting is he referring to? What two types of men are portrayed? What do you think and feel like when you see people you don't recognize and/or are different than you in your meeting place?
3. How and why is verse 3 a typical reaction from fallen mankind? Why is this way of thinking wrong? (4; John 7:24) What evil thought might spring forth from seeing a rich man walk into a meeting?
4. What is true about many who have come to be true believers in Jesus? (5) Who is it who chooses people to be rich in faith? Why are the facts in verses 6 and 7 true even to this day?
5. What truth about the law is found in verses 9 and 10? What impact should this truth have? (11)
6. What kind of judgement will true believers in Jesus be subjected to? (12; Romans 14:11-12; and 1 Cor. 3:11-15; and 2 Cor. 5:9-10)
II. Faith and Deeds (3:14-26)
7. What truth does verse 17 state? What illustration is given to prove it? (15-17)
8. What truth does verse 18 state? What illustration is given to prove it? (19)
9. When did the event in verses 20-22 take place in Abraham's life? (Gen. 22:1-2) Was Abraham considered righteous before or after this event? (Gen. 15:6) What then does James prove here about true faith? (24)
10. What did Rahab do because she believed in the Lord? (25; Heb. 11:31) What did she believe, when did she believe it, and what opportunity did she take because she believed? (Jos. 2:8-13) What can we learn about faith from her? (26)