Break the Jar
Questions for Study 16
Memory Verse: 19:11
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF ASSYRIA.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE BABYLONIAN EMPIRE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MAJOR EVENTS FROM JEREMIAH'S TIME TO ROMAN TIMES.
I. Break the Jar (19:1-15)
1. What was Jeremiah told to buy? (1) What does it mean when it says their ears tingle? (2-3) What would the name of the valley change to? (4-6)
2. How great will be the devastation on Judah and Jerusalem? (7-9) What visual illustration was Jeremiah to give them? (10-13) Why would Judah need such vivid illustrations?
3. What does it mean to be stiff-necked? What is the result of someone who is this way toward to Lord's words? What did Jesus say about this? (John 5:24-30, 8:23-30)
II. Jeremiah and Pashhur (20:1-6)
4. Who heard Jeremiah's word against Jerusalem and Judah? What did he do? (2) Will those who preach the gospel experience similar persecution? (Matthew 10:21-25, 24:9-14; John 15:18-21)
5. What did the Lord change the high priest's name to and why? (3-5) What would happen to him? (6) How is this a warning to religious people who oppose God's will? (Luke 6:46-49)
III. Jeremiah's Complaint (20:7-18)
6. What was Jeremiah's complaint after being beaten and locked up? (7) What did preaching the word of the Lord bring Jeremiah? (8) When he tried to be silent what happened? (9)
7. What does it mean "his word is in my heart like a fire"? (Luke 3:16, 24:32; John 15:3-4; Romans 8:16; Hebrews 10:14-16)
8. To what point had Jeremiah been isolated in society? (10) Who had not deserted him? (11) What did he ask the Lord to do for him? (12)
9. What did Jeremiah do in the mist of persecution? (13)
10. How depressed was Jeremiah? (14-16) What did he think of his life? (17-18) Is it wrong to feel as Jeremiah did? (Luke 22:41-44)