The Yoke of Exile
Questions for Study 21
Memory Verse: 27:5
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF ASSYRIA.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE BABYLONIAN EMPIRE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MAJOR EVENTS FROM JEREMIAH'S TIME TO ROMAN TIMES.
I. The Yoke (27:1-11)
1. When did this message come from the Lord? (1) What did the Lord tell Jeremiah to do? (2-3) How did the Lord introduce himself to the kings of the Middle East? (4-5) What would happen to them? (6-7)
2. Why would the Lord be telling these nations to serve Nebuchadnezzar? (8) What deception were the false religious leaders portraying? (9-10) What promise was the Lord giving them? (11)
II. The Rest Will be Taken to Babylon (27:12-22)
3. Who else did Jeremiah give this message to? (12) What question did he ask him? (13) What are some of the reasons that Jeremiah's message was hard to receive? (14-15) What is a good thing to do when confronted with hard and major choices in our lives? (Deuteronomy 4:29-31)
4. What were the false prophets tempting the king with? (16) What was Jeremiah saying? (17) What did Jeremiah say the false prophets should be praying for? (18)
5. Knowing they would not pray according to the words of the Lord, what would happen to the remaining temple articles? (19-21) What hope was given? (22) What can we learn about the Lord's faithfulness to his covenant with Israel? (2 Chronicles 36:20-23)
III. The False Prophet Hananiah (28:1-17)
6. Why did Hananiah predict a prophecy deliberately in Jeremiah's face? (1-3) What did he use to counter Jeremiah's words? (4) Why are some so zealous in their attack against God's people? (Amos 5:7, 10-11; John 3:19-21, 15:18-21)
7. Did Jeremiah agree with Hananiah? (5-6) What did Jeremiah remind Hananiah about the prophets before them? (7-8; Isaiah 39:5-7; Micah 4:10) What made a prophet truly from the Lord? (9; Deuteronomy 18:21-22)
8. How did Hananiah respond to Jeremiah's logic? (10-11) What does this show about the state of fallen man?
9. What would happen to Judah because of Hananiah's actions and words? (12-13) What did it mean? (14
10. What would happen to the false prophet? (15-16) When was it fulfilled? (17) How can we be sure if a message is from the Lord or not? (Romans 12:1-2)