Judah Repents of Repenting
Questions for Study 26
Memory Verse: 35:15
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF ASSYRIA.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE BABYLONIAN EMPIRE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
I. Warning to Zedekiah (34:1-7)
1. When did this message come and who was it to? (1-3, 6-7) What was the Lord going to make and allow happen? (2-3) How would the last king of Judah die? (4-5) Had the Lord given him a chance to avoid this fate, and if so what can we learn about our own lives?
II. Slaves Freed (34:8-22)
2. What had King Zedekiah repented of? (8) Who agreed with his decision? (9-10) Did they keep their word? (11)
3. What did the Lord remind them of? (12-13) What specific part of the covenant was he addressing now? (14; Leviticus 25:39-46, 54-55; Deuteronomy 15:12-15) Why would it be important to point out that they had agreed to this before the Lord's house? (15; Numbers 30:1-2)
4. Did the Lord see what they had done? (16) Why does the Lord want us to keep our promises and vows?
5. How will the Lord make the covenant breakers a covenant? (17-18) How does verses 21-22 give understanding on why the leaders recanted their vow? Why is it better not to make a vow? (Romans 7:14-25)
III. The Recabites (35:1-19)
6. When did the events of chapter 35 take place? (1) What was Jeremiah instructed to do? (2-5)
7. What was the Recabite family tradition? (6-7) what did they keep even during threads from invading nations? (8-10) What did Nebuchadnezzar finally force them to do? (11)
8. What was the subject of the message to Judah? (12-13) How did the Lord use the Recabites as an example? (14) How did the Lord act as their father? (15-16)
9. What would happen to unfaithful son Judah? (17) How did Jesus reinforce this? (Matthew 21:28-32)
10. What did the Lord promise the Recabites? What can obedient children learn? (Ephesians 6:1-4)