So That You May Always Fear the Lord
Questions for Study 3
Memory Verse: 8
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE DIVISION OF CANAAN.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S JUDGES.
I. Consecrate Yourself (3:1-17)
1. Where were the Israelites headed? (1) After three days what were the Israelites instructed to do? (2-3) Why? (4a) Why keep a distance from the ark and what can we learn about God and sinful man? (4b)
2. What did Joshua tell the people to do? (5) What does that mean? What did he tell the priests to do and why? (6; John 10:3-4)
3. What did the Lord tell Joshua he was going to do? (7-8; 4:14) How did did they know that the living God was among them? (9-13) How did the Lord prove Joshua and himself to Israel? (14-17) How does God reveal himself to us today? (John 16:5-11)
II. Twelve Stones (4:1-9)
4. What seemingly impractical thing did the Lord tell Joshua to do? (1-3) Why? How can we set up spiritual memorials in our lives, family, and local congregation?
III. The Lord Dried Up The Jordan (4:10-24)
5. What important fact must not be overlooked? (10-11) What can be learned by the Israelites' faith that obeys?
6. Why were Reuben, Gad, and the half tribe of Manasseh noted as crossing? (12-13; Num. 32:31-33) Why is our keeping promises important to God? (Neh. 9:7-8)
7. Why was it important for the Israelites to recognise God's hand of blessing on Joshua? (14) When the Lord distinguishes a man amongst his piers what should be done?
8. What did the Lord tell Joshua? (15-17) What might it have been like to be a priest carrying the ark at that time? How was their faithfulness rewarded? (18)
9. Where did they camp? (19) What was set up there? (20) What was repeated? What is new? (24) ;Why is fear of the Lord different than fear of a hungry lion? (Psalm 119:120; Isaiah 29:23)