Jesus Calls Levi
Questions for Study 11
Memory Verse: 32
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF GALILEE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JESUS' MID-MINISTRY TRAVELS.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SEE A CHART COMPARING JESUS' PARABLES.
I. Jesus Heals a Paralytic (17-26)
1. What was Jesus doing? (17a) Who had come and where were they from? (17b) What does this say?
2. Who else came to Jesus? (18) Why couldn't they find a way in and how did they solve this problem? How would those who were there think of this, especially the Pharisees and the teachers of the law? How about the house owner?
3. How did Jesus see their actions? (20a) What does it mean to see their faith? What did he say? What is learned about the nature of Jesus and what was more important for the paralytic?
4. What did the Pharisees and the teachers of the law think about Jesus' words? (21) How were they right? How were they wrong? What did Jesus say to them? Which is easier for man to say and which is easier for God to say? Why? How did Jesus prove himself right? When the people saw this how did they react?
II. Follow Me (27-32)
5. Who was Levi? How were tax collectors regarded? Who might become a tax collector in spite of the social repercussions? What does the passage tell about Levi's social life? His inner state? The conflicts inside him?
6. How was Jesus' calling Levi different from the other disciples? What did Jesus mean by "Follow me"? What's remarkable about Levi being a disciple?
7. How did Levi respond? What would this decision mean in his life? What motivated Levi to follow Jesus? What does the banquet event reveal about Levi's life before and after? About the gospel?
8. Why did the Pharisees complain? What does this reveal about them? How were they different from Jesus? How did Jesus answer their criticism? How was his viewpoint different?
9. What did Jesus teach them? In what way was his Messianic ministry a contrast to the attitude of the Pharisees?
III. Jesus Questioned About Fasting (33-39)
10. How is Jesus a bridegroom and his disciples bridegroom's guests? How was the ministry of Jesus different from the habitual religious activities of the Jews? What is the point of the parable of the patch of new cloths on the old garment?