Jesus Chooses the Twelve
Questions for Study 12
Memory Verse: 13
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF GALILEE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JESUS' MID-MINISTRY TRAVELS.
I. The Son Of Man Is Lord Of The Sabbath (1-5)
1. Why did Jesus' disciples pick heads of grain and eat the kernels? What does this suggest about Jesus' disciples?
2. Why did the Pharisees rebuke them? (Ex. 20:8-10)
3. What did Jesus teach them from David's example? (1 Samuel 21:1-6; Leviticus 24:9) How was Jesus' view of the law different from that of the Pharisees? What can we learn from Jesus about the spirit of the law?
4. What do Jesus' words, "The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath" mean?
II. Jesus Restores a Man's Shriveled Hand (6-11)
5. What problem did Jesus encounter in the synagogue on another Sabbath? Think of the troubles this man must have had because of his shriveled hand.
6. How did the Pharisees view this man? How did they try to use him? Why were they so opposed to Jesus? How was Jesus' view of this man different from that of the Pharisees?
7. How did Jesus respond to their challenge of his messianic ministry? Why did he not heal the man privately, on some other day? What did he teach the religious leaders about good and evil and the purpose of the Sabbath?
8. What did it cost Jesus to help this one poor, useless man? What can we learn here from Jesus?
III. Jesus Chose The Twelve (12-16)
9. After his conflict with the Pharisees, what did Jesus do? Why? What might he have prayed about?
10. Why did he choose twelve of his disciples and designate them apostles right from the beginning of his ministry? What does this suggest about Jesus' purpose in choosing them?
11. Who were the men he chose? What kind of men were they? What do you think were his criteria for selecting those he would train?