The Life of Faith
Questions for Study 14
Memory Verse: 9
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF GALILEE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JESUS' MID-MINISTRY TRAVELS.
I. Such Great Faith (1-10)
1. What was the problem of the centurion of Capernaum? What did he do about it? What was so unusual about his concern for his servant? What did the elders of the Jews say about the centurion? What can you learn about him?
2. How did Jesus respond to this plea? Why? How did he show his deep respect and confidence in the power and authority of Jesus' word?
3. Why was Jesus amazed at him? How did Jesus bless his faith? What can we learn about Jesus?
II. He said, "Don't cry." (11-17)
4. What contrasts can you find between the two large crowds that met at the town gate of Nain? What did Jesus say to the widow? What did Jesus do? How did the crowd respond? Why? What does this event reveal about Jesus' power and compassion?
III. Jesus' Answers to John (18-28)
5. When John's disciples told him about Jesus what did he tell them to do and what did they do? Why? (Matt. 11:2-3) What message did he send back to John? How does it answer John's question? (Is. 35:5-6)
6. What rhetorical questions did Jesus ask? What do they reveal about John?
IV. Jesus and John Were Rejected (29-35)
7. What did John's baptism signify? (Acts 19:4-7) Who had been baptized by John and how did this affect their response to Jesus? Why? What did they mean by saying, "God's way is right."?
8. How did the Pharisees and experts in the law reject God's purpose for themselves? Why?
9. To whom did Jesus compare the people of this generation? Why did they reject John and Jesus? What does this reveal?
10. Who are the children of wisdom? How can we be children of wisdom?