The Light of a Lamp Shines On You
Questions for Study 23
Memory Verse: 11:36
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SEE JESUS' LATER MINISTRY TRAVELS.
I. The Sign of Jonah (29-32)
1. How does Jesus' words about his generation indicate why the crowds around him were increasing? (29) Why might it be wicked to ask for a miraculous sign? What is the only Jesus promised to give them? (30) What was Jesus teaching about the difference between miracle seeking and believing in verses 31 and 32?
II. The Light (33-36)
2. What does light have to do with the gospel and us? (33) How can light in a person be darkness? (34-35) What does Jesus conclude with his teaching about light? (36) What does this have to do with verses 29-32?
III. Six Woes (37-54)
3. Why would a Pharisee host be concerned about Jesus' hygiene? (37-38; Ex. 19:10-11) What did Jesus try teach him about cleanliness? (39-40) What did Jesus tell him to do and why? (41)
4. What was the first woe that Jesus spoke against the Pharisees? What did he teach about rituals even if they were based on the word of God? (Mal. 3:6-12; Hos. 6:6) What does seeking important seats indicate? (43; 1 Peter 5:5-7) Why would walking over a grave be unwanted to the Jews? (44; Num. 19:11) What was Jesus saying?
5. Who were experts in the law that were be offended by Jesus? (45) What two things did Jesus speak out against them in verse 46? How can we be guilty of the same thing? (Col. 2:16-17)
6. Why might they build tombs for the prophets? (47-48) What is the result of such actions? (49-51) How were the teachers taking away the key to knowledge? (52) How is their response to Jesus to be expected? (53-54)
IV. Warnings and Encouragements (12:1-12)
7. Who did Jesus speak the next lesson to? (1) See what Jesus calls them in verse 4. What is the yeast of the Pharisees? What truth about themselves were the Pharisees trying to hide? (2-3)
8. Why would the Pharisees produce fear in others that is unwarranted? (4-5) Why is fear of the Lord warranted? What does verses 4 and 5 have to do with God's love mentioned in verses 6 and 7?
9. What does Jesus promise in verses 8 and 9? What does this have to do with fear and love? What does it mean to "blasphemes against the Holy Spirit"?
10. What promise does Jesus give in verses 11-12? What can be applied to our lives from the teaching of fear and love found in this study?