The Hope of Simeon and Anna
Questions for Study 5
Memory Verse: 30
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
TO SEE WHERE THEY WERE PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF GALILEE.
I. Jesus' Circumcision (21-24)
1. When and why did Jesus' parents have him circumcised? (Gen. 17:1-14) Why should such an extraordinary baby be treated in the ordinary way? Why must we have circumcision of the heart? (Rom. 2:29) What do we learn from Jesus' circumcision?
2. Why did they name him Jesus? (1:31) What does his name mean? (Mat. 1:21) What does their obedience in the naming of their son show about Mary and Joseph?
3. When and why did they bring him to the temple in Jerusalem? (Lev. 12) What did they offer? What does this reveal about their family? (2 Cor. 8:9) Think about real riches.
4. What do these two ceremonies show about their faith? Why was it necessary to do these things for Jesus? (Heb. 2:17a) What did Hebrew parents believe about their children? What should all parents learn from Jesus' parents?
II. Simeon's Faith (25-35)
5. Who was Simeon? How does Luke describe him? (25a) What does it mean to be righteous in such dark times? What does "devout" mean? How could he have such hope?
6. What happened to this old man when he had hope? (25b) How could he be a man of hope in that dark generation? What was his hope based on? (25c) How did God give him assurance and help him meet Jesus? (26-27) What can we learn from him about how to overcome despair that breeds false hope?
7. When Simeon took Jesus in his arms what did he do? (28) Why is he full of peace and contentment as he faced death? How had he been a faithful servant of God and shepherd of his people?
8. What did he know about the baby in his arms? (30-31) What does it mean that Jesus is God's salvation? What does it mean that he is a light to the Gentiles? (32a) Glory to Israel? (32b; Isa. 49:6)
9. How did his parents respond? (34-35a) What else did Simeon reveal about Jesus when he blessed Mary? (35b; John 19:25, 34)
III. Anna's Prayer (36-38)
10. What was Anna's human situation? What was her testimony about Jesus? Why was she joyful and full of hope?