John the Baptist Prepares the Way
Questions for Study 7
Memory Verse: 2a
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
TO SEE WHERE THEY WERE PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF GALILEE.
I. John's Commission (1-6)
1. What time does this passage take place? (1-2a) Who did the word of God come to and where was he? Why might he be there and what did he do there?
2. What was God's word to John and what was his response? (3a) What is a baptism of repentance? How can one's sins be forgiven through repentance?
3. Who prophesied about John and what was the prophesy? (4-6; Isaiah 40:3-5) How did John fulfill this prophesy? How did all men see God's salvation? (Isaiah 40:5)
II. John Preachings on a Baptism of Repentance (7-14)
4. In general, what did John preach to the people about their lives? (7-9) What does it mean to "produce fruit in keeping with repentance"? What will happen to the trees that don't produce fruit?
5. How did the people respond to John's words? What did John say to them? What did he say to tax collectors? What did he say to soldiers?
III. John Foretells the Christ's Coming (15-20)
6. What were the people waiting for? (15a) Why? (Daniel 9:25-26) What was the people wandering? (15b) What did John tell the people about the Christ and himself? What is the difference between John's baptism and the Christ's baptism?
7. What will the Christ do? (17) What is a winnowing fork and what does a person do with it? What will the Christ do with the wheat and the chaff? What is the difference between wheat and chaff?
8. How did John speak to the people? (18) What did John do to Herod? Was he afraid to preach to a king? What sin did Herod add to the sins that John rebuked him for?