The Temptation of Jesus
Questions for Study 8
Memory Verse: 2a
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
TO SEE WHERE THEY WERE PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF GALILEE.
I. Jesus the Son of God and the Son of Man (3:21-38)
1. Who was baptising all the people and who came to him to be baptized? (3:2-3, 21) Why was Jesus baptized by John?
2. When Jesus was baptized what happened? Who was the voice from heaven? What did he say about Jesus? What does it mean that Jesus is God's son? (Acts 7:55-56; Heb. 1:5,8-9; and 2 Cor. 5:10)
3. How old, humanly, was Jesus when he began his ministry? Was Jesus the son of Joseph? Why did people think Jesus was the son of Joseph? (Luke 1:26-31) What does it mean that Jesus is the Son of Man? (Heb. 2:14-15)
4. Who was David, the son of Jesse, and what did God promise him in regards to Jesus? (24-31; and 2 Sam. 7:11-16) Who was Adam and what did God promise him in regards to Jesus? (Gen. 3:15)
II. The Temptation of Jesus (4:1-13)
5. Why was Jesus full of the Holy Spirit? (4:1a Where did the Holy Spirit lead him, for how long, and what happened when he was there? (4:1b-2) What does Jesus being the Son of God and the Son of Man tell us about him as we study his temptations and his ability to overcome them?
6. What did the devil say to Jesus in verse 3? How did Jesus answer him? What does man live on? (Matt. 4:4, John 6:63) What does this teach us about Bible study and Bible study notes?
7. What did the devil do next and what did he say to Jesus? (5-7) What is the worlds authority and spender, and what does it do for us in the end? How do we worship the devil? How did Jesus answer the devil? How can we love and serve God instead of the devil? (John 15:9-10) What is the result and gift to those who serve and love God?
8. What did the devil do next and what did he say? (9-11) What did this temptation concern? What does the devil's use of the word of God teach us about his technics? How did Jesus answer the devil? What does this teach us about trusting God?
9. What can we learn about temptation and winning over Satan when he attacks through this passage? What does verse 13 teach us about Satan?