Jesus Sends Out the Twelve
Questions for Study 15
Key Verse: 1
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE AREA AROUND THE SEA OF GALILEE.
I. Jesus Called the Twelve Disciples (1-4)
1. How is Jesus' calling his twelve disciples and sending them out related to his prayer in 9:37-38? What did he give them? Why?
2. Tell the names of the Twelve. Why are they also called "Apostles"? What kind of persons were they? Why do you think Jesus didn't call Pharisees or other Jewish religious leaders to be his disciples?
II. The Instructions to the Apostles (5-15)
3. Why do you think they were to go first to the lost sheep of Israel? (15:24; Acts 13:46; Isaiah 49:1-6) What principle must all Christians learn here? (Acts 1:8)
4. Why should the kingdom of God be the main point of their message? How can we focus on Bible study and the good news? How did Jesus reinforce his message of good news?
5. What did he tell them their attitude should be toward material things? Why is this important? What principles can we learn here?
6. When they enter a town to preach the good news, why is it so important to find one worthy person? (11-13) What must they do if no one in a town welcomes them? Why?
7. What are the consequences of rejecting the servants God sends and the word of God which they speak?
III. Resistance to Persecution (16-31)
8. Why must servants of God be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves? What persecutions could the apostles expect? How were they to act in the face of persecution? (16-22)
9. How should apostles deal with the fear that arises when one is persecuted or betrayed? (24-28) Of whom should we be afraid? Why does fear of the Lord drive out all other fear? (29-31)
IV. Acknowledgement of Jesus' Name (32-42)
10. What are the results of failing to acknowledge Jesus? What is likely to happen when disciples confess their faith to their friends and family members? What is the cost of making a true confession of love for Jesus?
11. What kinds of sacrifices does acknowledging Jesus' name require? (37-38) What is the final outcome?
12. How is acknowledging Jesus practically related to acknowledging Jesus' people and receiving them? Why would Jesus' disciples not esteemed in the eyes of the world and even called "little ones"? Why should respect and love be due to them?