The Transfiguration of Jesus
Questions for Study 22
Key Verse: 2
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JESUS' MID-MINISTRY TRAVELS.
I. The Transfiguration of Jesus (1-13)
1. Where did Jesus go and who did he take with him? Why do you think he took only these disciples?
2. Describe the transfigured Jesus. How does this image of Jesus contrast with the Jesus whom the disciples knew? What does this transfiguration teach about who Jesus is? (Revelation 1:13-16) Why was it important for them to have this glorious image of Jesus in their hearts?
3. With whom was the transfigured Jesus talking? What do you know about Moses and Elijah? What did each have in common with Jesus? What is the significance of their appearance with Jesus here?
4. How did Peter respond? What does this show about his inner mind?
5. What is significant about the bright cloud? (1 Kings 8:10-11; and 2 Chronicles 5:13-14) Whose was the voice that spoke? What did he tell the disciples about Jesus? What did he tell them to do? Why? How did they respond? How did Jesus help them?
6. Why did they ask Jesus about Elijah? (10; Malachi 4:5, 6) How did Jesus answer? Who was he talking about? How did Jesus use this discussion to again teach about the work of the Messiah?
II. The Strength of Faith (14-23)
7. Who was at the foot of the mountain? Why had a crowd gathered? How did one man approach Jesus? What was his problem? How had the disciples at the foot of the mountain compounded the problem?
8. What did Jesus say to them? What is a "perverse generation"? Why is unbelief such a tragedy?
9. What did the disciples think when they saw Jesus cast out the demon? What did they ask Jesus? What did he teach them about their real problem? What can we learn about the power of faith? (Hebrews 11:24-25, 29)
10. What did Jesus re-emphasize about his own mission as the Messiah? Why would the glorious image of Jesus be especially necessary for the disciples to keep in their hearts?