Jesus Blesses the Children
Questions for Study 24
Key Verse: 16
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JESUS' MID-MINISTRY TRAVELS.
I. The Two Will Become One (1-12)
1. As chapter 19 opens, where was Jesus and what was his situation? What vexing questions did the Pharisees ask? What was in their minds?
2. How did Jesus answer them? On what did he base his answer? What does Jesus teach here about marriage and its meaning? (4-6)
3. Why did they bring up Moses' teachings in Deuteronomy 24? Look at Jesus' answer in verses 8 and 9. Had Moses commanded divorce? Why did he permit it?
4. How did Jesus' disciples respond to Jesus' teaching about marriage? What does this show about them?
5. What did Jesus teach about God's different plans for different people regarding marriage? What is the difference between a Christian and a worldly view of marriage?
II. The Little Children and Jesus (13-15)
6. After the Pharisees left, who came to Jesus? Why did they come? What can we learn from them? How did the disciples react to these people? Why did they act like this?
7. What did Jesus teach his disciples about how to come to him? How was this a contrast to the way the Pharisees came? How did Jesus receive the children who came? What can we learn?
III. To Have Eternal Life (16-30)
8. What can we learn from this passage about the man who came to Jesus? What did he want? Why would he ask such a question?
9. What did Jesus teach him about goodness? Which commandment did Jesus tell him to obey? How are these commands a standard to show whether a person's life is selfish or sacrificial?
10. What was the young man's response? What did he lack? How did Jesus try to help him solve his mammonism and over come his selfishness? What was the young man's decision?
11. When the young man left, what did Jesus say to his disciples? What does this mean? What was their response? How can sinful, selfish people be saved?
12. What did Peter ask? What wonderful promise did Jesus give his disciples?