They Will Call Him Immanuel
Questions for Study 2
Key Verse: 23
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JESUS' EARLY MINISTRY TRAVELS.
I. Joseph, A Son of David (18-20, 24-25)
1. According to verse 18, what is this story about? What is Joseph's place in the genealogy of Jesus (16)? Why is he referred to as Joseph son of David (20b)?
2. How is Mary identified? What was her relationship to Joseph (18)? Before the problem arose, what might have been their hopes and dreams? What kind of lifestyle did they evidently maintain?
3. Before they had any physical union, what happened to Mary (18b)? How was God keeping his promises and working out his purpose through this (Genesis 3:15; Luke 1:32-35; Hebrews 4:14,15)?
4. Read verse 19. When Joseph found his fiancee pregnant--not by him--what would be his natural response? What was evidently the custom and law (Deuteronomy 22:20,21)? What was his dilemma as a righteous man?
5. What did he decide to do? What kind of spiritual and human struggle might be involved in reaching this decision? What does this show about his spiritual priorities?
6. Read verse 20. What word of God came to Joseph as he struggled spiritually about this matter? What did Joseph do (24-25)? How might it cause him some shame and personal difficulty? What shows him to be a godly man (Isaiah 53:4a; Matthew 5:8)? How did God use him?
II. Jesus Saves His People From Their Sins (21)
7. Read verse 21. What was to be the name of Mary's baby? What does this name mean? How does this fulfill prophecy (Isaiah 53:5)? What does this tell us about God's purpose in sending the Messiah? About mankind's real problem?
III. Jesus, The Immanuel God (22-23)
8. Read verses 22-23. What is Jesus' other name? What does this mean? How does this fulfill prophecy (Isaiah 7:14)? Think about the meaning of "God with us" to one man, Abraham (Genesis 12:2,3; Hebrews 11:11). How did "God with us" give him hope?
9. Think about the meaning of "God with us" to the people of Israel. What was his purpose (Exodus 19:5,6)? When and how was God with them (Mt 1:17; Isaiah 43:2)? What did it mean personally to Matthew that Jesus was God with him (Mt 9:9-13; 6:33)?
10. Read Isaiah 9:6. What does it mean that Immanuel God came into this world as a baby? What does this verse tell us about the meaning of Immanuel God to each of us?