John the Baptist and Jesus' Baptism
Questions for Study 5
Key Verse: 3:2
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JESUS' EARLY MINISTRY TRAVELS.
I. A Voice in the Desert (1-12)
1. Where did John the Baptist begin to preach? What did the quotation from Isaiah tell us about his person and ministry? (3) What was his lifestyle like? (4) Why did he live like this?
2. What was John's message? (2) What did he mean by, "the kingdom of heaven is near"? What does it mean "to repent"? What is the significance of his message in regard to preparing the way for the Lord? In regard to the coming of the kingdom of heaven?
3. How did the people respond to John and his message? (5-6) What does their response tell us about those times? About the people?
4. Who were the Pharisees and the Sadducees? (7a) Why did they go where John was baptising? Why did John rebuke them so severely? (7b-10) What direction did he give them?
5. How did they justify themselves and avoid true repentence? What does it mean that God can raise up children for Abraham out of stones? (9) What does verse 10 mean?
6. How did John introduce Jesus (11-12) How does Jesus baptize people? What can Jesus do that John cannot? What does verse 12 mean? What does this tell us about the urgency of repentance?
II. The Baptism of Jesus (13-17)
7. Why did Jesus come to be baptized by John? Why did John try to deter him from doing this? What does this tell us about John?
8. How did Jesus reply? What did he mean by, "to fulfill all righteousness"?
9. What happened when John baptized Jesus? What does this event teach us about Jesus? Why was God pleased with Jesus' baptism?