Make Our Joy Complete
Questions for Study 1
1 John 1:1-2:2
Memory Verse: 4
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION TO 1 JOHN.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE TO 1 JOHN.
I. The Word of Life (1-4)
1. What had Apostle John seen and touched? Why did he say that Jesus is "the Word of Life" and that he is that which was from the beginning?
2. How was it possible for John to have testified about this Word of Life? (2) What did John do as he saw the word of life coming into this world? Why did John say, "the Father and Jesus his Son"?
3. What is John's purpose of writing this letter to the readers after he had seen and heard the eternal life? (3b) What is the characteristics of Christian fellowship? How is it different from human fellowship of the people of the world? What is another purpose from the author to write this letter? (4)
II. Walking in the Light (5-10)
4. What is the message John received and declared to them? (5) What do light and darkness stand for? Why do you think that it was necessary for John to declare the message concerning God as we consider the Gnostic crisis and the other circumstances in the Church in John's time?
5. What should a Christian first do if he wants to have a right fellowship with God and his Son Jesus? What does he mean by "walk in the light" and "walk in the darkness"?
6. What is the essential condition for the true Christian fellowship to be established? (6-7) What is the work of Christ that is to be brought forth as true Christian fellowship is established? So what can you learn about the importance of public confession of sins for Christians? 8-10)
III. Our Defender Jesus Christ (2:1-2)
7. How can John's writing this letter help to prevent the readers from falling into sin?
8. What does the author encourage them to do if in fact they should fall into sin? Why is it important for sinners to be aware of Jesus being their defender? How is it possible for Jesus to defend our cause? How can we make the right circumstances so that Jesus can make a defense on our behalf to the heavenly Father?