Samuel's Farewell Speech
Questions for Study 5
1 Samuel 12:1-25
Key Verse: 23
AFTER ANSWERING THE QUESTIONS CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. The Lord is Witness (1-5)
1. Who were present? (2b-3a) How did Samuel start his farewell speech? (1-2a) Why mention this event? (8:4-5) How did that event effect Samuel? (2c, 8:6)
2. How had he set an example for them of godly leadership? (3b-4) Who was witness between Samuel and Israel? (5) Why was this important? What example can spiritual leaders learn from Samuel?
II. It is the Lord Who Appoints (6-11)
3. Who appointed Moses and Aaron and lead Israel out of Egypt? (6) How was Moses and Aaron appointed? (Ex. 3:7-10, 4:10-17) Why are these facts important from the Lord's point of view? (7, 8:7)
4. Why did the Israelites cry for help in Egypt? (8; Gen. 50:24; Ex. 1:8-10) What happened after they arrived in the Promised Land? (9-10; Jud. 2:11-13, 3:7, 12, 4:1-2, 10:6-7, 11:14-15)
5. Who were Israel judges that Samuel mentioned and what did they do? (11; Jud. 6:32, 4:6, 11:4-6; and 1 Sam. 7) What pattern was Samuel showing to Israel? What can we learn from this?
III. Fear the Lord and Serve and Obey Him (12-25)
6. When the generation of Israelites before Samuel were faced with enemies what did they do? (12-13) What was the underlying problem in their request?
7. What warning did Samuel give? (14-15) What proof was given? (16-18a) Why? (18b) Explain what this reaction means.
8. How did the people respond? Why can't a human king have this kind of ministry?
9. Why would the Lord not forsake his people? (20-22) How was this fulfilled in Christ Jesus?
10. What personal commitment did he make to God and to them? What final warning did he give? What can we learn from him?