Paul's First Missionary Journey
Questions for Study 15
Memory Verse: 11
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASECLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE BEGINNING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF PAUL'S FIRST AND SECOND MISSIONARY JOUNEYS.
I. On Cyprus (1-12)
1. How is the Antioch church (congregation) described? (13:1-2, 6:5, 11:19-27) What's the difference between a prophet and a teacher? What were they doing? Who spoke to them? Does the Holy Spirit still speak to his people?
2. Where did they go? Why there? (4:36, 11:19-20) When they got there what did they do? What does this show us about the realationship between the early churches?
3. Who did they meet? (6-8) What did he do? (8) What did Saul say to him? What does this tell us about what happens when we do the work of preaching the gospel?
4. What was the result? (7, 12)
II. Paul Preaches About Jesus In Pishidian Antioch (13-41)
5. Who left? (5, 13) Why? (15:37-38) What does this tell us about living for Jesus and the gospel work he has called us to?
6. What did they do on the Sabbath? What day of the week was this in our calendar? See what Paul wrote to the Roman belivers in Romans 14:5-8. How is the keeping of the Sabbath described? (15) Who were in the room? (16)
7. What do you know about the beginning of God's working with Israel? (17-23, 36-37) What other proof did Paul give? (24-25) What word of God also testifies about Jesus? What is so special about Jesus? (38-39) What happens if we rely on the Law and not Jesus for salvation? (40-41)
III. Paul's Gospel Mission (42-52)
8. What was the immediate result of Paul's message? (42-43) What happened the next Sabbath? Why would the Jews there be jealous of other Jew's successful ministry? What were they afraid of? Why?
9. What was Paul and Barnabas' response to their fellow Jews' rejection? Why did the Lord command this?
10. Who believed and who did not? What did each do? How is this still a mark of the gospel work, especially in these last days of the age of preaching of the gospel? Pray that the Holy Spirit may reveal to you the source of this jealousy and the way it will end.