The Supremacy of Christ
Questions for Study 1
Key Verse: 20
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE INTRODUCTION.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ AN OUTLINE TO COLOSSIANS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP SHOWING PAUL'S FIRST AND SECOND MISSIONARY TRIPS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP SHOWING COLOSSE IN RELAtIONSHIP TO PAUL'S THIRD MISSIONARY TRIP.
I. Thanksgiving and Prayer (1-14)
1. Who is the sender of this letter? How did Paul identify himself? Are you in the will of God for your life? Who is the recipient? How did they hear the gospel? (7-8; 4:12; Phm. 1:23; Acts 19:9b-10)
2. What was Paul thankful for? (3-4) What does verse 5 tell us about the gospel? How does it bear fruit? (6)
3. What is Paul's prayer topic in verse 9? Why does he pray for that? (10a) What four things are a part of this? (10b-12a)
4. What is the kingdom of light? How can one become a member of the kingdom of light?
II. The Supremacy of Christ (15-23)
5. How is Jesus described in verse 15? What does it mean that he is the firstborn? (18; Rom. 8:29; Heb. 1:6, 12:22-24; Rev. 1:5-6)
6. In what way is Jesus the Creator? (16-17) Who is the head of the church?
7. How does verses 19 and 20 further define Jesus' divinity? How does God reconcile us to him through Jesus?
8. What was our relationship with God before Jesus? What was the reason God became flesh and blood? (22) What is required of us after we hear the gospel? (23)
III. Christ in You, the Hope of Glory (24-29)
9. Why was Paul willing to suffer? What is Paul's commission? What is the glorious mystery now made known?
10. To Paul, what did it mean to proclaim Jesus? Why did he do that? What does this tell us about our life of faith?