I Have Given You This Land
Questions for Study 1
Memory Verse: 8
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ AN OUTLINE TO DEUTERONOMNY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ AN INTRODUCTION TO DEUTERONOMNY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A TIMELINE FROM MOSES TO DAVID.
I. Leave Horeb (1-8)
1. Where was Israel? (1-2, 5) What had just happened? (4) What did Moses speak to them about? (3) What can we learn about the subject or our messages should be?
2. Who told them to move from Horeb and where did he tell them to go? (6-7) Why did he tell them to take possession of it? (8) What does the Christian take possession of? (Luke 16:16)
II. Appoint Leaders (9-18)
3. How much had the Israelites increased and what does this reflect back to? (9-11, Gen. 22:17-18) What was necessary and how did the kingdom of God in the present age reflect this? (12-15; Titus 1:5) As well as the next? (Rev. 19:16)
4. What was the appointees to do? (16; c.f. Ex. 18) Why might they show partiality or be afraid? What does it mean "judgement belongs to God"?
III. Spies Sent Out (19-25)
5. Who was leading the Israelites and where did he lead them? Why did he lead them there? (20-21) Why might they be afraid or discouraged? How is Matthew 28:18-20 similar?
6. What did Israel decide to do? (22-23) Why did Moses agree? (Num. 13:1-3)
7. Where did they go? (24; Num. 13:21-25) What was their report of the land? How is our future and the promises Jesus has given us similar? (2 Peter 1:3-4)
IV. Rebellion Against the Lord (26-46)
8. What problem made the Israelites rebel against the Lord? (26-28) Who are the Anakites? (28, 2:10-11, 9:2; Num. 13:33; Gen. 6:4-5; Josh. 11:21-22, 15:13-14) What problems do we face in our warfare? (Eph. 6:11-13)
9. What word of comfort did they receive that still applies for us today? (29-31) How did they experience the love of the Lord?
10. How did the Lord respond to their rebellion? (34-35). Consider this in light of Hebrews 3:7-19. Who is an an example to us on how to hold firmly to the end? (36)
11. What did the Lord tell them? (37-40) How did they respond? What were they told? What did they do anyway? What can we learn about man's nature from this and how we should be different? (Gal. 6:7-9; and 2 Thess. 1:8-10)