Until the Lord Gives Rest to Your Brothers
Questions for Study 3
Memory Verse: 20
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE DIVISION OF THE PROMISED LAND.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A TIMELINE FROM MOSES TO DAVID.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
I. Defeat of Og king of Bashan (1-11)
1. What did the Lord promise when Bashan came to stop Israel from going into the promised land? (1-2; c.f. Num. 21:33-35)
2. How strong was Og? (5, 11) What was the result when they obeyed in faith? (3, 6) How did the Lord keep his word? (4, 7) From looking at a map, what land was now in Israel's possession? (8-10)
3. What can we learn about the progress of Israel as they drew nearer and nearing the promised land? What can we learn of how God works in us through this? (Matt. 7:24-27; Rom. 12:1-2)
II. Division of the Land (12-20)
4. What was the Reubenites' and Gadites' inheritance? (12, 16-17) What was Manasseh's inheritance? (13-15) Why were they called a half tribe? (Gen. 46:19-20, 48:5)
5. How did they end up receiving the land east of the Jordan? (Num. 32, consider verses 14-15) Considering their impatience, what happened to them more than the other tribes when armies of other nations came? (2 Kings 10:32-33)
6. After the Lord agreed to their request what did they still have to do? (18) Who did they have to leave in order to fulfill the promise they made? (19) For how long? (20) When did that happen? (Judges 2:20-23) What can we learn about the spiritual battle we are in? (Zeph. 1:12-14; Matt. 25:1-13)
III. Moses Could Look, But Not Enter (21-29)
7. What words of encouragement did Moses give his successor, Joshua? (21-22) How does this same word apply to us today? (Matt. 28:18-20)
8. What kind of prayer did Moses say? (23) Who else in the Bible prayed this way? (2 Sam. 12:16; Dan. 9:3; Mark 5:22-23; and 2 Cor. 12:8-9; Luke 22:44) What can we learn about prayer?
9. What did Moses ask for? Considering his life why was this a understandable request?
10. What was the Lord's answer? (26-27) Why? (Num. 20:9-12) What can we learn about the way the Lord deals with leaders of his sheep?
11. How was Moses to treat his successor?