The True Children of Abraham
Questions for Study 11
Key Verse: 8:31-32
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM IN JESUS' TIME.
I. The Children of Abraham (31-41)
1. What had Jesus taught the unbelieving Jews in the previous passage? (12, 21, 24) What was the result of his teaching?
2. What did Jesus teach these new believers about how to be his disciples and true children of God? (31) What does this mean? (37b) How can we hold to Jesus' word?
3. When we hold to Jesus' word, what do we come to know? (32; 14:21) What is the truth, and what are its main characteristics? (1 Peter 1:24-25; Matt. 5:18; Lk. 2:10) What happens to us when we come to know the truth? How is it different from physical or human freedom?
4. How did the Jews respond to his words? (33) What were the good and bad points of their racial pride as Jews? To what had their pride blinded them? (Think about their past history and present situation.)
5. What kind of freedom was Jesus talking about? (34) How is a slave different from a son? What does "a permanent place in the family" mean?
6. In what respect were these Jews different from Abraham, who was a blessing, even though they were his physical descendants? (37-40) What does their boast in verse 39 mean?
II. The Children of the Devil (42-47)
7. What did Jesus tell them about their true parentage? What shows that they are not children of God, but children of the devil? (42a, 43-45, 47)
III. Jesus' Claims about Himself (48-59)
8. How did the Jews insult Jesus? (48, 52-53) In response, what did he teach them about himself, and what gracious promise did he give them?
9. How did the Jews reveal their ignorance of God's redemptive plan through Abraham? What did Jesus teach them about Abraham's joy, which could also be theirs?
10. How did Jesus reveal himself to be God? (58) What was their response to him?