What Share Do We Have in David?
Questions for Study 10
1 Kings 12:1-33
Memory Verse: 27
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE UNITED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. I Will Make the Yoke Heavier (12:1-11)
1. What had Shechem been historically to Israel that Rehoboam wanted to be made king there? (Gen. 12:6-7, 33:18-19; Josh. 8:30-35, 24:1-17, 32)
2. What did Jeroboam believe enough to return to Israel? (2, 11:34-37) Why would Israel send for him? (3-4) What opportunity did Rehoboam miss from the beginning? (5; Matt. 5:9)
3. Who did Rehoboam consult with first? (6) What obvious answer did they give? (7)
4. Why might he seek a different opinion? (8-9) Why would the young men give the answer they gave? (10-11)
II. Israel Rebells Against the House of David (12:12-24)
5. What kind of man would give the answer Jeroboam gave? (12-14) Who was behind this? (15) What can be learned about the Lord? (Rom. 11:33-36)
6. How did Israel respond to the king? (16) Where all tribes involved in the rebellion? (17)
7. Why would Rehoboam send his labor under-lord? (18-19) Why would Israel want Jeroboam their king? (20)
8. How did Rehoboam's response further define his character? (21) What kind of faith must have Shemaiah have to deliver this message? (22-23) What did the Lord reveal to Judah and Benjamin? (24)
III. Israel's Sins of High Places and Idols (12:25-33)
9. What did Jeroboam do first? (25) What did he fear? (26-27) Why did he not need to? (11:38)
10. How did he make himself sound? (28) Where did he set up the idols? (29) What had he led Israel to do? (30) What can be learned about sinful man's nature?
11. What did Jeroboam add this his sin? (31) What did he do to the feasts the that Lord instituted? (32-33) My does mankind institute holy days that are not of the Lord?