A Man of God Delivers God's Judgement on Bethal's Altar
Questions for Study 11
1 Kings 13:1-34
Memory Verse: 32
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. A Man of God From Judah Delivers the Word of God (13:1-10)
1. Who did the Lord send to Jeroboam? (1) What sin was Jeroboam committing? Why did he cry out against the altar and not Jeroboam? (2) What did he say? Why would the sign be needed? (3)
2. How did Jeroboam react to the word of God? (4a) How was the word of God confirmed? (4b-5) Why was this form and place of worship so important to the Lord? (Deut. 12:11-14; Heb. 13:11-13) Now that Jesus, the Lamb of God has been slain how should we worship the Lord? (John 4:21-24)
3. How did Jeroboam refer to the Lord when he was seemingly repenting? (6-7) How did the man of God respond to Jeroboam's generous request? (8-10)
II. A Prophet Lies to a Man of God (13:11-19)
4. Who witnessed the exchange between Jeroboam and the man of God? (11-12) What was their father and what did they tell him? What did he do? (13-14)
5. Why might the old prophet want the man of God to come with him and eat at his house? (15-17) How did the man of God respond to the old prophet? Why did the Lord give this command?
6. How did the old prophet convince the younger man of God to disobey the word of God? (18) Was he successful? (19) What can be learned about the old prophets motives?
III. The Prophet Buries the Man of God (13:20-34)
7. Who did the word of the Lord come to? (20) What did it say? (21-22)
8. What did the man of God do? (23) What happened? When the old prophet heard the news what did he say? (26)
9. When the prophet arrived at the body's location what strange scene did he find? (27-28) How did he respond? (29-30) What can be learned from the old prophets words after burying the man of God?
10. With so many miracles could there be any doubt that the man of God was truely from the Lord? Did Jeroboam repent? (33) What would this sin eventually lead to for Jeroboam and the northern ten tribes?