Questions for Study 2
2 Kings 3:1-4:7
Memory Verses: 1
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF THE KINGDOMS OF ISRAEL AND JUDAH.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A TIMELINE FROM BABYLON TO ROMAN CONTROL OVER ISRAEL.
I. Moab Revolts (3:1-20)
1. How is Joram's life summed up in verses 1-3? How had his father treated his neighboring countries and how did that affect Joram? (4-6) From whom did Joram seek assistance? (7) Did he get assistance?
2. Why might Joram want to attach Edom from the other side of them even though it was the riskier way? (8-9) When trouble came who did he decided to seek help from? (10-12) Why is it we do not seek the Lord Jesus before we do anything, but only when we are in trouble?
3. Even though Elisha came with the army why did he answer Joram as he did? (13-14) How was Joram's heart condition shown in his answer to Elisha?
4. Why might Elisha ask for a harpist? (15) What did the Lord promise if they acted in faith? (16-19) Did the Lord bless their faith? (20) What can we learn about the Lord?
II. Water That Looks Like Blood (3:21-27)
5. Look at a map and consider why the water was red. Why might they think it was blood? How can we be kept from being deceived?
6. How did the Lord keep his word? (24-25)
7. What did the king of Moab try to do? (26) Why didn't he succeed? What final act did he do? How is this an act opposite of the heart of Christ? (John 10:14-18)
II. The Widow's Oil (4:1-7)
8. What problem did a believer in the Lord have? (1) Why might this be even a greater problem for her than it would be in our day?
9. How did Elisha seek to help her? (2) What can we learn about where to look for help?
10. Why did he have her look for jars? (3-4; Hab. 2:4) How did the Lord bless her faith? What did she do after the jars were filled? What can be learned from these two incidents about living by faith in Jesus? (2 Cor. 5:7, Gal. 2:20, Heb. 10:38-39)