Life in the Son and Death in the Pot
Questions for Study 3
2 Kings 4:8-44
Memory Verses: 35
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. Lay My Staff on the Boy's Face (4:8-37)
1. What did a rich woman do for Elisha? (8-10) Why?
2. What kind of help did he offer her? (11-13) What does her refusal of that kind of help say about her? (Luke 14:12-14)
3. When Elisha's servant told him a need she might have what did Elisha promise her? (14-16) Why might she refuse this offer too? Did the Lord honor Elisha's word anyway? (17)
4. Why might the woman react the way she did when her son died? (18-21) What did her husband not understand about what she was going to do? (22-23) Why did he answer Elisha's question as she did? (24-26) What does her actions say about her?
5. Explain the motives of the three in verse 27. How did Elisha react to her words? (28-29) Why won't she leaven him? What happened? (31-39) How did the woman respond?
II. Death in the Pot (4:38-41)
6. How did Elisha respond to the news of a famine? What was one of them forced to do since there was a famine? How is this similar to our reactions in times of spiritual trouble?
7. What was wrong with the stew and what probably caused it? (40) How is this like us?
8. What did Elisha do to take away the death in the pot? How is this like what Jesus did for us? (Isaiah 1:18; John 13:8-10; Rev. 7:14, 22:14-15)
III. Feeding of A Hundred (4:42-44)
9. What gift was brought Elisha? What did he say to do with it? When objection came what did Elisha say?
10. What happened when they obeyed? (44) What events did this foreshaddow? (Matt. 14:17-21, 15:32-38) What could not have been mistaken? (John 6:12-14)