Oracles Against Israel
Questions for Study 2
Memory Verse: 5:15
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. Judgment on the Chosen People (3:1-15)
1. Who is this prophecy against? (1-2) What were they when the Lord brought them out of Egypt? Was the relationship established forced on them? (3; Exodus 19:7-8)
2. Consider the answers to the actions and reactions questions in verses 4-6. How is the Lord doing the same through Amos? (7-8) Who was the Lord calling to be a witness between Israel and the Lord's covenant? (9-10)
3. What is the verdict of the nation that broke it's contract with the Lord? (11, 13-15) Will all be lost? (12) Now consider the new covenant we are under; has it been broken? (Rev. 2:4-5)
II. Judgment on an Unrepentant People (4:1-13)
4. What were the Israelite women like in Amos' time? (1, 4-5) What would happen to them? (2-3) What should they be like? (Pro. 11:16, 21-23, 14:1, 31:10-31)
5. What calamities did the Lord send Israel according to verses 6-11? Why did he do this? How did they respond?
6. What should they prepare for? (12) What had they forgotten and/or not believed about the Lord? (13) Is the Lord Jesus the same today? (Rev. 2:14-16)
III. Judgment on an Unjust People (5:1-17)
7. What did the Lord lament about the northern tribes, Israel? (1-2) What does this say about his love? What will be the outcome of Israel's attempt to save themselves? (3)
8. What did the Lord want them to do? (4, 6) What was at Bethel, Gilgal, and Beersheba? (5) Who is the Lord? (8-9)
9. What sins are mentioned? (7, 10-11a, 12) What happens when times are evil? (13) Will the evil rich man be able to enjoy his wealth forever? (11b, 16-17)
10. What is possible for them to avoid the coming calamity? (14-15) What did Jesus teach that was similar to this? (Luke 11:42, 46, 18:23-30)