Queen Vashti Deposed
Questions for Study 1
Memory Verse 2:17
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ AN OUTLINE OF ESTHER.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO REVIEW ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE PERSIAN EMPIRE in 500 B.C.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW ISRAEL'S HISTORY FROM BABYLON TO ROMAN TIMES.
I. Control (1-12)
1. Who was king? Where was his kingdom? (1, 14) Look this up on the map like above. What had this kingdom done earlier? (2 Kings 17:5-6, 24; 2 Chron. 36:15-21) What might this mean to the people of God? Look at the history link above.
2. What did King Xerxes do? Describe it in detail. What did the king instruct his stewards to do? (8) What might be the results of such a command?
3. Who was queen? (9) What did she do?
4. What had the condition of the king become by the seventh day? (10) What did he command his eunuchs to do? Why? What does his condition show about his motives for this command?
5. How did the queen respond? What was she risking by acting this way? Why might she have done this? What might be learned from her?
6. How did King Xerxes respond to the queens actions? (12) What might be some reasons for this?
II. The Law (13-22)
7. Who did King Xerxes consult? What does the phrase "who understood the times" mean? What does this say about law and justice in King Xerxes' kingdom?
8. What did the king ask the experts? (15) What was the verdict? (16) What was the basis for this? (17-18) How might this be wrong and/or right?
9. What advise did the king receive about the sentence? (19-20) What was special about the laws of Persia and Media? What did they hope to accomplish with this law? What did the king think of the advice? (21) What does it mean to rule over one's own household according to Ephes. 5:21-33?
III. The Search for a New Queen (2:1-18)
10. After his anger subsided, what did the king do? What was the proposal? How did the king respond to this? What does this show about him?
11. Who was Mordecai? Who was Hadassah and what was her relationship to Mordecai? What was her other name? What was special about her? (8-9) How can we see God's hand here?
12. What did she not do? (10-11) Why? What does this show about her? About the way to be?