I Will Teach Them
Questions for Study 14
Memory Verse: 16:15
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW MAPS OF THE DIVIDED KINGDOM OF ISRAEL.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF ASSYRIA.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF THE BABYLONIAN EMPIRE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MAJOR EVENTS FROM JEREMIAH'S TIME TO ROMAN TIMES.
I. Do Not Marry Jeremiah (16:1-13)
1. What heart breaking personal message did the Lord give Jeremiah? (1-2) How will this short term pain save him from greater pain in the future? What can we learn about some of the Lord's direction in our own life? (Romans 5:3-5, 8:18; and 2 Corinthians 1:3-5)
2. Was Jeremiah permitted to attend all funeral meals? Or a celebration? Would Jeremiah see the fulfillment of these prophecies in his lifetime?
3. What did the people believe about themselves? (10) What was the reality? What did Jesus have to say about such people in his time? (John 6:41-59)
II. I Will Teach Them (16:14-27)
4. What message of hope was given Judah? (14-15) Will Judah be able to escape from being taken to the north? (16) Why? (17-18)
5. What does Jeremiah look forward to? (19-20) Who will teach the nations? How did Jesus fulfill this as the Messiah? (Luke 2:28-32; Matthew 8:10-11; Acts 1:8, 9:15)
III. Deceitful Hearts (17:1-18)
6. Why would Judah lose all that the Lord gave them? (1-4) Does this mean that everyone who loses something or someone does so because of their sin? (John 9:1-5)
7. What does it mean to trust in man? (5-6) Does this include ourselves? (9) What does it mean to trust in the Lord? (7-8)
8. What does the Lord do to everybody? (10) From where does the Lord examine our hearts? (12) What does it mean to forsake the Lord? (11, 13) How is Jesus the spring of living water? (Zechariah 14:8; Jeremiah 2:13; John 4:10, 7:37-39) Is there hope? (14; Luke 19:9-10)
9. How were Jeremiah's critics mocking him? (15) Did they cause him to shy away from his calling? (16) Did they cause him to shy away from his calling? (16) What can we learn about engaging in the gospel work? (Luke 21:12-19)