The Faithful and Wise Servant
Questions for Study 25
Memory Verse: 42
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SEE JESUS' LATER MINISTRY TRAVELS.
I. A Faithful Servant's Readiness (35-48)
1. What does it mean to be dressed ready for service? What does it mean to "keep our lamps burning"? What kind of attitude does Jesus want us to have?
2. Why should we be like these? (36b) Who is the master we are waiting for? (40) Will we know when he will come? How does Jesus use wedding customs of his day to illustrate this teaching? (36a)
3. After calling his disciples friends in verse 4 and his flock in verse 32 what is he calling them in these verses? What are the two things that will be good for Jesus' servants? (37a, 38a) What does he promise? (37b)
4. To what is Jesus' second coming compared to in verse 39? Why? How does this help us to be faithful servants?
5. How did Peter respond to Jesus' teaching about the attitude of a faithful servant? Why did he ask this question?
6. What three kinds of people does Jesus describe in answer to Peter? What rewards are promised the first? How are the other punished? How does this parable answer Peter's quesion?
II. Not Peace But Division (49-53)
7. Why did Jesus say he had come? What does he mean by "fire on the earth"? And "a baptism to undergo"? (50)
8. What did Jesus mean when he said that he did not come to bring peace on the earth, but divisions? Why would families be hardest hit?
III. Interpreting the Times (54-59)
9. What kind of signs can most men-especially the pharisees-interpret well?
10. What do they fail to interpret? Why does Jesus call them "hypocrites"? What warning does Jesus give in the parable in verses 57-59?