To Inherit Eternal Life
Questions for Study 18
Memory Verse: 21
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW JESUS' LATER MINSTRY TRAVELS.
I. "Go, Sell Everything You Have and..." (17-22)
1. Where was Jesus? (1) As Jesus started out for Jerusalem and the cross again, who came to him? (17a) With what attitude? With what question? (17b) What does Matthew and Luke say about him? (Mt. 19:20; Lk. 18:18,21,23) What might be this man's problem(s)?
2. What did Jesus say to him? (18) How and why did Jesus direct his attention toward goodness and God?
3. What did Jesus say next? (19) Why did Jesus teach about the commandments concerning love for neighbors? (Ex. 20:12-16; Leviticus 19:18) If he kept the laws perfectly, could he have life? (Deuteronomy 30:16) Is this possible?
4. What did the rich young man declare to Jesus? (20) Did he think he was truthfully answering? How? In his heart, did he truly love his neighbor? What about his life shows that he selfishly kept the law?
5. What was Jesus' attitude toward this man when he saw his sincerity and eagerness? (21a) What was the first thing Jesus told him to do? (21b) What does this tell us about applying the law to our life? What was the second thing Jesus told him to do? (21c) What does this tell us about trusting God? (Compare Mt. 13:44-46)
6. How did they young man respond to Jesus' direction and invitation? (22a) Why? (22b)
II. God's Reward For his Children (23-31)
7. What did Jesus reveal to his disciples about the man's problem? (23) Why were the disciples amazed? (24a) What did Jesus teach them? (24b,25) How did they disciples respond to this? (26) How does God save sinful man? (27)
8. How did Peter respond to Jesus' teachings? (28) What does this tell us about him? About how he was like the man? about how he was different?
9. How did Jesus encourage the disciples? (29-31) What did he promise them? Why are persecutions blessings? What are the real rewards of those who leave a worldly life to live for Jesus' sake and the gospel's?