A Foretaste of the Day of the Lord
Questions for Study 1
Memory Verse: 2:1
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN THE INTRODUCTION.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW AN OUTLINE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF THE KINGDOMS OF ISRAEL AND JUDAH.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MAJOR EVENTS FROM BABYLON TIMES TO ROMAN OCCUPATION OF JUDAH.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. A Call to Mourning and Prayer (1:1-14)
1. What does it mean that the word of the Lord came to a prophet? Who did the words in this book come to? Who was it direct to and what were they to do with it? (2-3)
2. What had happened in Judah? (4, 6-7, 10, 12, 19-20) How did the people respond to the calamity? (8-9)
3. Why were the priests to put on sackcloth? (13) What else were they to do? (14) When trouble comes what should we do? (John 16:33; Matt. 11:28-30)
II. The Announcement of the Day of the Lord (1:15-2:11)
4. What is "the day of the LORD"? How did God reveal what would happen during the day of the Lord? (16-20) See who else saw these things happening in the day of the Lord. (Rev. 6:5-6, 8:7)
5. Why blow the trumpet? (2:1) What else is revealed about the day of the Lord? (2) Who is in control of this army? (11)
6. Verses 2-11 describe the army at the Lord's command. What is the land like before and after them? (3) What does verse 4-5 reveal about their appearance and actions? How do the nations respond to them? (6)
7. What is this army's advance like? (7-8) What do they do when they enter cities? How is the environment affected by this army? (10) Does another prophet describe such an army during the day of the Lord? (Jos. 5:14; Rev. 19:11-16)
8. How can the day of the Lord be great and dreadful? Who can endure it? (Luke 18:8, John 11:23-27)
III. A Call to Repentance and Prayer (2:12-17)
9. What was Joel's instruction? (12) What does "rend your heart" mean? Why is it wise to return to the Lord?
10. Why is the trumpet in verses 15-17 to sound? What are they to pray? What can be learned about the Lord in this study?