Who Will Be Saved in the Day of the Lord
Questions for Study 2
Memory Verse: 2:18
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF THE KINGDOMS OF ISRAEL AND JUDAH.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW OLD TESTAMENT BOOKS TIMELINE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MAJOR EVENTS FROM BABYLON TIMES TO ROMAN OCCUPATION OF JUDAH.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. The Lord's Restoration of Judah (2:18-27)
1. When the Lord's people have repented from their sins what will he do? (18) What will he promise his people? (19) How will he protect them? (20) What can we learn about how the Lord brings his people back to him when they stray from him? (Hag. 2:17; Isa. 45:22)
2. When the Lord's people return to him how will he bless the land so they prosper? (21-22) What will he give in righteousness?
3. How will he reverse the calamity he used to bring them back to him? What is the result of all the calamity and blessing? (27) What does this say about the Lord's love? (Exo. 20:3-6, 34:14; Deut. 32:21-29; Josh. 24:19-22)
II. The Lord's Renewal of His People (2:28-32)
4. What does "and afterward" tell us? In what ways are the prophesies in verses 28-29 fulfilled? (Acts 2:16) How is the Holy Spirit's work different now than in Joel's time?
5. What does verse 30-31 refer to? (Acts 2:19-20; Luke 23:44-45, 21:11) What is the meaning of verse 32a? (Acts 2:21, Rom. 10:12-13) Where is Mount Zion and how was it the source of deliverance? (32b)
III. The Coming of the Day of the Lord (3:1-21)
6. What does the Lord promise will happen when Jesus comes again? When he comes how will he decide the fate of the nations? (2-3, 12-14)
7. How do and will people wrongly accuse God? (4-6) How does God promise he will set things straight? (7-8) What will soon happen to Israel and Jerusalem? (9-11) During the day of the Lord where can people find refuge? (15-16)
8. When Jesus comes again what does he promise? (17) How will his presence bring blessings to Judah?
9. What is promised those who oppose God's people? (19) How do our actions affect our future according to these verses?
10. Who will be the eternal inhabitants of Judah and Jerusalem? (20; Rev. 3:11-13, 21:1-3) How does Jesus take away our bloodguilt?