Jesus Sends Out the Seventy-Two
Questions for Study 20
Memory Verse: 2
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO SEE JESUS' LATER MINISTRY TRAVELS.
I. The Harvest is Plentiful (1-3)
1. Why did Jesus send out the seventy-two? Why two by two? (Compare this with the event in 9:1-9)
2. How did Jesus view the sin-sick world into which he was sending the seventy-two? What prayer topic did he teach them? What imperative command did he give them even though he knew the risks involved? What can we learn about Jesus'mind and mission? (Matt. 18:14)
II. And Tell Them, "The Kingdom of God is Near" (4-16)
3. What instructions did Jesus give about equipment? (4) Why do you think he wanted them to travel light?
4. What was to be their greeting to potential believers? Why?
5. What was their ministry? (8-9) What was their message? What should this mean to us?
6. In case of rejection, how were they to act and what were they to say? What does the message "the Kingdom of God is near," mean to those who reject the gospel? (12)
7. How were Tyre and Sidon different from Korazin, Bethsaida, and Capernaum? Why would judgement on these later cities be greater? Why is it so serious to reject the servant whom the Lord sends? (16)
III. Rejoice That Your Names are Written in Heaven (17-24)
8. Why were the seventy-two so joyful upon their return? What did Jesus teach them about the source of their power? About the real reason for rejoicing?
9. Jesus was on his way to Jerusalem to be crucified. How could he be so jouful? What was his thanksgiving topic? How did he express his loneliness and his comfort? (22)
10. What did Jesus tell the disciples privately? Why were they so blessed? In what respect can we also be blessed people?