The Parable of the Tenants
Questions for Study 35
Memory Verse: 17b
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
I. The Authority of Jesus Questioned (1-8)
1. What was Jesus mainly doing after he entered Jerusalem, and what was he doing now? Why did the chief priests and the other Jewish leaders question Jesus about his authority?
2. Where did Jesus' authority come from?
3. How did Jesus respond to them? Why did Jesus ask them about John's authority?
4. What was the discussion among themselves? What was their conclusion? What does their discussion and conclusion show about them?
II. The Parable of the Tenants (9-19)
5. What did the man who planted the vineyards do with it when he went away on a journey? What did he expect at harvest time? Why? Who does the owner of the vineyard represent? The tenants?
6. When the owner of the vineyard sent for some of the fruit, how did the tenants respond? What does this show about them? What happened to the three successive servants?
7. What did the owner finally decide to do? Why? What happened to his son? What event does this predict?
8. What will the owner of the vineyard do? Who are the "others"?
9. When the people refuse to accept this teaching, suggesting that God would never do such a thing, what Bible teaching did Jesus give them? What does verse 17 mean?
10. What does it mean that, "whoever falls on that stone will be broken to pieces, but he on whom it falls will be crushed"? What should we learn from this parable?