The Son of Man's Trials
Questions for Study 40
Memory Verse: 69
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM.
I. Jesus Before Soldiers (22:63-65)
1. Why would the guards mock and beat Jesus? (63) What does their words show about their understanding? (64) What does this show about man's nature? (65)
II. Jesus Before Religious Leaders (22:66-71)
2. What did the Jewish council ask Jesus? (66-67a) Why? How did Jesus answer? (67b-69) When ask if he was the Son of God how did Jesus respond? How did the elders respond??
III. Jesus Before the Civil Leaders (23:1-12)
3. Why did the religious leaders lead Jesus to Pilate? What were their charges against him? How did Jesus answer Pilate? Through his answer what did Jesus affirm about his kingship and his kingdom?
4. Even though Jesus just stated a crime leagally punishable by death what did Pilate tell the religious leader? Why? Why couldn't he pronounce the verdict according to his conviction? (5)
5. Why was Jesus sent to Herod? Why was Herod pleased with seeing Jesus? How did he treat Jesus? (9-11) How does this reveal his superficiality?
6. What did this event bring about between political rivals? (12) Even though Pilate, Herod and the Jewish leadership had different backgrounds, what did they have in common?
IV. Jesus Before Civilians (23:13-25)
7. What was Pilate's judgment concerning Jesus, being guilty or not guilty? (4, 13-15, 22) Why couldn't he pronounce the verdict according to his conviction?
8. How did he try to compromise with the Jews? What was Pilate's final decision? What does this show about him?
9. Had Jesus ever broke either Roman or God's law? Even though questioned and tested many times by the religious leaders had they found any? How does their words to Pilate reveal their heart?