Jesus' Prayer and Arrest
Questions for Study 39
Memory Verse: 42
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM.
I. Jesus Prays on the Mount of Olives (39-46)
1. Where did Jesus go? Why? (41) What do the words "as usual" suggest about Jesus' prayer life?
2. What did he tell his disciples to do? What kind of temptation do you think they would soon face?
3. What was Jesus' initial prayer request? What did he mean by "the cup"? What does this tell us about the inner struggle he was going through?
4. How did Jesus call God? What does this show about his relationship with God? What was God's will for him? (18:31-33) What was the nature of his spiritual struggle in his prayer?
5. Describe how Jesus prayed. (43-44) What can you learn from him about prayer?
6. What were the disciples doing while Jesus prayed? Why? Why was it so important for them to pray instead of sleeping at this time? What can we learn here about the necessity of prayer?
II. Jesus Arrested (47-53)
7. What decision had Jesus made in prayer? How did Judas betray Jesus? How did Jesus' greeting to Judas make him aware of Jesus' identity? How did it convict him of the guilt of what he was doing?
8. How did the disciples react when they saw what was happening? How does this show their spiritual unpreparedness?
9. How were Jesus' actions and attitude different from that of his disciples? Why did Jesus describe this hour as the hour "when darkness reigns"?
III. Peter Disowns Jesus (54-62)
10. What did Peter do after Jesus was arrested? (54-55) What does this suggest about Peter's attitude and spiritual condition?
11. Who recognized Peter first? Why do you think Peter denied knowing Jesus? How did Peter deny Jesus the second and third time? (58-60)
12. How did Peter come back to his senses? What did Peter do when he came back to his senses? Did Peter ever meet Jesus again?