Jesus Crucified, Died, and Buried
Questions for Study 41
Memory Verse: 50
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE READING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JERUSALEM.
I. Jesus Was Crucified (23:26-51)
1. Why did they have to let Simon carry Jesus' cross on the way? What was the women's reaction as they followed and watched Jesus carrying his cross? What did Jesus teach about himself and about God's judgement to the weeping women? (28-31)
2. Why did they crucify Jesus between two criminals? What was Jesus' prayer on the cross for those who crucified him? What can you learn about Jesus through his prayer? About his cross being the cross of forgiveness of sin? (John 1:29, 3:16; 1 Peter 2:24b)
3. What does Jesus' cross and his prayer teach us about sin? About Jesus' grace? How can we receive Jesus' forgiveness and be cleansed of all our unrighteousness? (1 John 1:9; Luke 11:4) How can we forgive others and their sins?
4. How did the people surrounding Jesus' cross respond to him and his being hung on a tree: the soldiers; the people who stood watching; one of the criminals? How did they reveal their spiritual ignorance? Why didn't Jesus save himself?
5. What request did the second criminal make of Jesus? What can we learn from this man? What did Jesus promise him? (39-43)
II. Jesus Died (44-49)
6. What happened from Hebrew time 6 to 9? (44-45) What does this mean? Why would the detail about the curtain be important?
7. In what way does Jesus' last cry indicate his victory?
8. How did the Roman centurion respond as he watched Jesus on the cross? What had happened? Why was his response and testimony significant? How did the bean of light shine in this man's heart as he saw Jesus' cross? What can you say about Jesus' cross that shines light upon those who are in darkness?
III. Jesus Was Buried (50-56)
9. Who buried Jesus? (50-51) What did he boldly do? (52) Why are the details of how Jesus was buried important? (53) What day was it in Hebrew time? (54)
10. Who were the witnesses to Jesus' death and burial? What do you know about them? What do Jesus' death and burial mean to us?