The Genealogy of Jesus
Questions for Study 1
Key Verse: 1
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO VIEW A MAP OF JESUS' EARLY MINISTRY TRAVELS.
CLICK HERE FOR A TIMELINE FROM BABYLON TO ROMAN CONTROL OVER ISRAEL.
I. Jesus Christ, the Son of David, and of Abraham (1-2)
1. What title does Matthew give to Jesus? (1) Why is it important for him to identify Jesus in this way? Who are the three main pillars in God's history?
2. Who is Abraham? What did God promise him? (Genesis 12:2,3; 17:3-5) How did Abraham respond to God's promises? (Genesis 15:5,6; 22:18; Romans 4:1-8) In light of God's redemptive work, what is the significance of God's promise to Abraham? (Genesis 22:17,18)
3. Who is David? What did God promise him? (2 Samuel 7:12-16) Why was God pleased with him (Acts 13:22; 1Sa 17:37,45,47)? How else did he show his faith in God (Romans 4:5-8; Psalm 51:12)?
4. What promise did God make concerning Jesus? (Matthew 1:21) How is Jesus the "prefecture" of our faith? (Hebrews 12:2)
II. Women of Faith (3-17)
5. Find the five women in Jesus' genealogy. (3,5,6b,16) What is peculiar about these women being recorded in this genealogy? What does this tell us about the nature of God and his redemptive work?
6. Who was Tamar? (Genesis 38:1-30) How did she show herself to be a faithful woman?
7. Who was Rahab? (Joshua 2) What did she believe? How did God use her? How did he bless her? (Hebrews 11:31)
8. Who was Ruth? (Ruth 1:4,16; 4:13,17) How did she show her faithfulness? How did God bless her?
9. How did Matthew refer to Solomon's mother? What event does this recall? (2 Samuel 11:1-4; 12:13) How does this reflect God's grace? How did Bathsheba show faith in the time of crisis? (1 Kings 1:11-17, 28-31)
10. How would you characterize the generations from Abraham to David? (17) From David to the Babylonian exile? From the Babylonian exile to Jesus? How did the hope of the Messiah grow in the midst of the rising and waning of the kingdom of Israel?