Mene, Mene, Tekel, Parsin
Questions for Study 5
Memory Verse: 5:25
AFTER ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ THE COMMENTARY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF THE ASSYRIAN EMPIRE
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF THE BABYLONIAN EMPIRE.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF THE PERSIAN EMPIRE IN 500 B.C.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A MAP OF GREECE DIVIDED AFTER ALEXANDER DIED.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MAJOR EVENTS FROM DANIEL'S TIME TO ROMAN TIMES.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT ISRAEL'S HISTORY.
BEFORE ANSWERING PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF ISRAEL'S KINGS AND PROPHETS.
I. King Belshazzar's Hedonistic Party (1-16)
1. According to this chapter, who was Belshazzar? Describe the party he had for his nobles. Who was there? (1)
2. What big mistake did Belshazzar make? (2-4) Why had King Nebuchadnezzar never done this? What was his probable motive? (23) Why was this so offensive to God and such a foolish thing to do? (2-4; Exodus 20:3; Romans 1:22-23)
3. While they were drinking, what strange and terrifying thing happened? (5a) How did the king react to what he saw? (5b-6)
4. What did he promise to do for the wise men who could interpret this writing on the wall? (7) What did the wise men and astrologers do? What was the result? (9)
5. Who came to help him? (10) Why was she not attending the party? How did she encourage and counsel him? What specific advice did she give? (11-12) How did she recommend Daniel?
6. How did the king question Daniel? What did the king know about him? What reward did he promise Daniel if he could interpret the handwriting on the wall? (13-16)
II. Daniel Councils the King (17-31)
7. Read verse 17. How did Daniel respond to the king's offer? Why did he refuse any reward from the king?
8. Of what event in the life of the king's father did Daniel remind him? (18-21, 4:34) What was the cause of Nebuchadnezzar's insanity and cure?
9. What shows that Belshazzar had deliberately sinned against God? (22-23; Proverbs 1:7) What did Daniel say about God to Belshazzar? (23b-24) How had Belshazzar dug his own grave? (23) Why can no one claim ignorance as an excuse?
10. What was the inscription on the wall and what did each word mean? What does it mean to be weighed in the scales and found wanting? (26-28; Romans 3:23)
11. What was done for Daniel? (29) How was the prophecy of this inscription fulfilled? (30-31)